2 May 2014

WHAT TOMORROW MAY BRING BLOG SERIES


On May 1st, we launched the new anthology box set, What Tomorrow May bring, a collection of ten YA dystopian novels and bonus chapters from eleven bestselling and up-and-coming Indy authors.

Today...

Meet David Estes
fellow contributor to
What Tomorrow May Bring
The YA Dystopian Box Set



What ‘dystopia’ means to me by David Estes


I love dystopian novels. And I don’t just mean The Hunger Games, although I love that one, too. I’ve read dozens of dystopian novels and I never seem to get tired of them. For me, dystopian novels capture so much of what makes reading awesome. They explore real social issues and imaginative futures that may be only decades, or even years, from coming to pass. They are dark and suspenseful and funny and interesting, and, most of the time, scary.


But what I love the most is that they almost always contain an element of hope. The characters, who are many times thrust into terrible situations, endure and persevere and usually accomplish what they set out to do, against challenging odds. Hope.

Do I think any of the themes in dystopian novels will actually come to pass? Absolutely. Hopefully not in my lifetime, or my children’s lifetimes, but bad things will happen and new heroes will have to rise to the forefront and meet the challenges of their day.


But for now, I’ll imagine my own futures and the heroes that live them, and do my best to entertain my readers with stories of hope. Starting with my first dystopian novel, The Moon Dwellers. For this series, I’ve created two different societies, one living underground (three books: The Moon Dwellers, The Star Dwellers, The Sun Dwellers), one living aboveground (three books: Fire Country, Ice Country, Water & Storm Country), which then come together in a final epic 7th Dwellers, where the characters and plot lines smash into one story. 

I hope you enjoy the dystopian world I’ve created!






No comments:

Post a Comment