11 January 2013

SciFi Fantasy Saturday: Fugitive

Welcome to another edition of SciFi Fantasy Saturday - our little web-ring of fab SciFi & Fantasy writers and posters. Check out snippets from other SFFS authors here: scififansat.blogspot.com

This Week: Posting from "The Girls From Alcyone II: Freelancer."

In this (raw, dare I say, unedited) snip, we pick things up directly after the climactic events of Book One. So, if you haven't read Book One, well...lotta' sh*t happens.


November 17, 2348
Bellatrix

The TGV sped along, cruising at a pedestrian 782 kph, suspended mere centimeters above the maglev tracks. There was little to see, dark as it was outside, and even less to hear. Not even the rushing din of transonic winds could penetrate the well-insulated passenger compartment. The only sounds in the cabin came from the labored breathing of Dr. Farrington's slumbering companion. He didn't know the man's name, nor did he care to. He was far too preoccupied, too busy mulling over the course of recent events; events that had lead him to this godforsaken armpit of a planet.
How he had ever become involved with a group of rebels was beyond him. Dr. Farrington cared not for politics. It was only the work that mattered.
And they had been so very, very close.

Next Week: More out of context snippets from this WiP ...

PS - For those of you posting using Word Press, if you don't see a comment from me, don't forget to check your spam boxes. I think some of my posts are ending up there. On the other hand, if you're marking me as spam on purpose, no worries. I completely understand! 

Cheers!

19 comments:

  1. I loved this line, "...godforsaken armpit of a planet." Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Oh, and I didn't see my comment on your site. I don't know if you moderate your comments or if I've ended up in another spam box.

      Cheers!

      Delete
  2. Wow, that TGV is fast. My snippet in over on my website as usual. I have to stop forgetting to add my name to the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got over to your post, but my comment wasn't showing up. Oh, and, as for fast, that's nothing! The TGV that goes between New York and London was clocked at a record 2108 kph. ;)

      Delete
  3. I was trying to remember what the speed of sound is in kph... :-)
    Great snippet...now just waiting for the book to be finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Great snippet...now just waiting for the book to be finished."

      Ditto, Cary!!

      Delete
    2. It'll be a while. I'm practically starting over from scratch.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, it needed a total reworking. Mostly, I came to the realization that I needed to loosen the reigns and allow the story to expand beyond Sigrid and her cadre (there's just too much going on to ignore, and too many questions that I needed to answer!).

      I only wanted to write a little adventure, but the little adventure had other plans.

      Delete
    4. That's what happens when you create your own world. :D

      Delete
  4. Speed of sound depends on the atmosphere. Where is this?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hah! Great snippet. Loved the "godforsaken armpit of a planet" line, too. Also loved the last line. Leaves open a good mystery to keep me interested!

    ReplyDelete
  6. His derisive tone comes across very clear, especially with the line that everyone has mentioned. Fantastic details. Great snippet, Cary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great snippet. "Armpit of a planet" is an awesome line.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They can get a transport up to 782 kph in the future but no cure for snoring. Great! Enjoyed the scene you set up. Awesome snippet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Godforsaken armpit of a planet" Ahh, he loves it, he really does! I like this doctor. He reminds me a certain doctor of my own creation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Exciting! Still waiting patiently for this to be complete.

    ReplyDelete